• Welcome from Nurse Blake

    I am so happy to be returning to Griggs Elementary school for a third year. I have been a nurse for 25 years and I was a high school Health Science teacher for 8 years.  I currently live in Currituck County with my husband, two sons, one who is studying at UNC-Asheville and the other son who is an 8th grader at CCMS. We also have a dog Maestro(4).  I am originally from Pennsylvania and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with my Nursing degree and a minor in school nursing. I am also a National Certified School Nurse.

    Please contact me with questions and concerns about your childs health.


    Nurse: Leanne Blake BSN RN NCSN   

    Email address: Lblake@currituck.k12.nc.us

    Phone number:  252 453 5522

    OFFICE HOURS:  Mon-Fri   8:30-2:30

    Keeping Our Kids Healthy and Safe
    Medications at school
    North Carolina General Statute 115C-307 states that "school employees may administer medications at school prescribed by a doctor upon written request of the parents". Currituck County Schools are required to be in compliance with the statute and have established a medication policy which gives detailed information regarding administration of medication at schools. The policy is located on the website and in the student handbooks.
    When a child requires any medication at school, a consent for permission to administer medications must be completed by the physician and the parent and the consent must be filed at school. A consent is required for any medication including an over the counter medication (such as Tylenol or cough drops) and any prescription medication.
    Prescription medications must be in a container labeled by the pharmacist and the first dose must be given at home to avoid having an adverse reaction at school. Over the counter medications must be in the original container to insure accuracy with administration. All medications must be brought to school by an adult.
    Permission to administer medication forms are available in the health office and on Currituck County Schools website under parent information, or in the sidebar of this page under the link "important documents." To avoid delays in administration of medication at school, the consent to administer medication should be provided to the school when the medication is brought to school. 
    I hope this information is helpful and I encourage you to contact the School Nurse if you have any questions regarding administration of medications at school. Please make sure if you haven't already, that you get asthma action plans, food allergy action plans, medication permissions, and any other forms turned in ASAP! If you need them, please let me know :)




Last Modified on September 30, 2020