Hello and welcome to the fifth grade! I am Mrs. Nixon and I have been teaching for the past 11 years. This year I will be teaching Math and Science. I consider it an honor to be working with your child.
I have resided in Moyock all of my life. I graduated from Currituck County High School and then moved on to Chowan College. Chowan is located in Murfreesboro, NC a small rural town. I graduated in December of 2005 with an Elementary Education Degree. I am very happy to have the opportunity to teach in my hometown and better yet teach in the very classroom I attended sixth grade! I graduated from Gardner Webb University with a Master's Degree in Executive Leadership Studies in 2014. I obtain a NC Professional Educator's License in both Principal K-12 and Elementary Education K-6.
I thought it would be helpful to make you aware of some of our school and classroom policies.
1. Every Monday, your child’s communication folder will be sent home with the previous weeks graded assignments. Please check the folder for important information, review your child’s graded work and return the folder the following day.
2. HOMEWORK: You can expect homework every evening in math. A homework folder will go home daily.
**If the combined homework takes longer than an hour, please let me know, so that I can address the problem during school hours.
GRADES: Every assignment has a reason for being given and is important. Grades will be taken from various sources: homework, daily assignments, projects, class participation, class activities, tests, and quizzes. Our county assigns grades on the following proficiency levels:
Grades 3-5 will have grades reported using an alpha scale aligned with the 10 point scale (including numeric conversions and/or rubric definitions) in all areas.
3. ATTENDANCE/LEAVING EARLY: We begin work promptly at 7:50, so it is important that students arrive in a timely manner daily. Since we cover so much material in fifth grade, it is important, if at all possible, not to have your child miss instructional time. We ask that parents try to schedule appointments during after school hours.
You can email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TRANSPORTATION CHANGES
All changes in daily transportation must be reported to the office by 2:15. After 2:15 parents may choose to have their students be dismissed by their most normal method or held in the office until the parent can provide their own transportation.
If you send a note to school requesting a transportation change please include the following:
- Student’s Name
- Parent’s Name
- Teacher’s Name
- Date of Transportation Change
- Address of where student should go
- Adult that will be present to receive child
- Bus Number
In closing, I am very excited about this school year. I anticipate a successful year for each of my students. Everyday is a new day for the students and another opportunity to achieve.
I would like to thank you in advance for your support!Helpful Links