Mrs. Christina BowyerAcademic Dean/Assistant Principal
Welcome!This 2018-2019 school year marks our school's 10th anniversary. As a Founding Staff Member of J.P. Knapp Early College High School, I feel honored to be a part of this exceptional, educational environment where growth and achievement continue through our mission of "Discovering Excellence Within." I am especially excited to now be serving our students, staff, and community, in the role of Academic Dean/Assistant Principal.BiographyI was born and raised in Virginia, but I have a very special place in my heart for Currituck as it has always felt like home to me. I graduated from Old Dominion University located in Norfolk, Virginia, where I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Interdisciplinary Studies. I began my teaching career in 2002 with Virginia Beach City Public Schools. In the fall of 2005, I came to work for Currituck County Schools at Moyock Middle School, and in 2008 I joined the J.P. Knapp Early College Spartan family.Since becoming a Spartan, I have worn many hats and loved every minute of it. I've taught English and Social Studies, served as an Academic Seminar mentor for multiple classes, sponsored the prom committee and facilitated the creation of the JPK Spartan Yearbook to name a few. In January 2019, I transitioned from my role as a classroom teacher to my new role in administration as the Academic Dean/Assistant Principal. I am looking forward to the duties and responsibilities of my new position and I am most delighted to continue to serve our Spartan students in a whole new capacity.Facts & Stats
When Writing a Recipe for Education, Don't Forget These Ingredients:
- This is my 17th year in education.
- I spent 10+ years working in the movie theater business before becoming a teacher.
- I am married to my husband, Barry, who is also an educator.
- We have a beautiful daughter, Madison, and she is now a high school freshman.
- We share our home with a Jack Russell Terrier, a bunny, and 20 chickens.
- I have two brothers and one sister, but I am the oldest.
- I have three nieces and one nephew.
- My father is the hardest working person I have ever known.
- I love photography and have taken 1000s of photographs.
- I am passionate about creating and repurposing things.
- Number of hours spent as a teacher and mentor: countless
- Experience gained from spending time as a teacher and mentor: priceless
Favorite Quotes"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And, experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer."- Dr. Randy Pausch"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."- Nelson Mandela"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."- Maya Angelou"I am a better person for being around teenagers...not because they test me, but because they have this perfect balance of unapologetic and fiery strength and unfiltered, raw vulnerability. They are beautiful examples of aliveness. We should all strive for a little more of that."- Dr. Amy Fast"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."- Michael JordanLikes (Let's be honest, LOVES)
- Mindset, Mindset & Mindset
- Family & friends
- Animals (especially the fox, squirrel & otter)
- Sweet Tea & Dr. Pepper...Starbucks when the opportunity presents itself
- Random Acts of Kindness
- Videos to make you laugh, smile or cry (in under 2 minutes, the shorter the better)
- Music (all types) & Singing Loudly in the Car
- Movies (including watching the trailers)
- Uno, Clue, Scrabble, & Battleship
- French Toast, Garlic Knots & Taco Salad
Thank you!Thank you for visiting the J.P. Knapp Early College High School website and my personal page. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter as well. Please feel free to visit our school or contact me.Contact InformationMain Office Phone: 252-232-3107 ext. 1501Cell Phone: 757-567-4024Email: email@example.com
- The Blame Game
- Temperatures above 80 degrees (if humidity is a factor and around here, of course, it is a factor)
- Empty Promises
- Dark Chocolate
- Cooked Spinach (Baby Spinach is welcome to lunch anytime)
- A favorite series ending in a cliffhanger, but losing out on being renewed for another season
- Pumping Gas
Last Modified on April 8, 2019