Welcome to Preschool!
Hello! My name is Miss Danna Pierro. I am your child's teacher. I have worked with children full time since I was 19. I have earned a Bachelor's of Science degree in Child Development and a Master of Arts Degree in Teaching. This is my 6th year working as part of the pre-k team in Currituck. Mrs. Joyce is my wonderful T.A. She has a strong educational background with an associate's degree and has many years' experience working alongside young children. We both love children very much and strive to create a calm, happy and loving environment so that each child feels safe to explore, play and learn. Thank you for entrusting your precious child with us!
Our preschool program is play based leaning also known as "Purposeful Play". Children learn so much through play. It allows them to explore, discover, negotiate, take risks, create meaning, and solve problems. Play based learning draws on children’s natural sense of inquiry and discovery through hands-on exploration of the world around them. Of course, children love to play. Playing is not only essential for the kids to get their wiggles out, but play is also critical for brain development and allows children to gain all the skills they need physically, socially, cognitively, creatively, and emotionally. Purposeful play is an enjoyable activity that allows children to make meaning out of their experiences. When children play, they are building imagination, developing reading, language, math and science skills, solving problems, and building social skills, among many other things.
Family Enrichment Ideas
- Read together every day--Make it fun. Read outside, under the table, behind the couch etc... Make it fun!
- Get Cooking! Mmmmm!
- Eat a meal together. Your children would love to tell you all about their day as you enjoy a meal together.
- Volunteer together...The animal shelter kittens would love for you to visit them.
- Plant something or make a small garden.
- Have a Dance Party.. Turn up some kid friendly music and get your groove on!
- Draw, color or paint a self-portrait!
- Start a family game night and take out some board games.
- Have a movie night. Get a cozy blanket and some popcorn.
- Take a walk outside. Talk about what you are seeing.
- Go to the park.
- Take a bike ride.
- Take a nature walk.
- Visit your local library.
***Always feel free to take a picture or write down what you do as a family so your child can share their experience with us!
Family Friendly Websites
Super Simple Songs: www.youtube.com/user/SuperSimpleSongs