• Welcome to the Speech Page!

    Kellie Carter, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Lead Speech Language Pathologist
    Jarvisburg Elementary, Moyock Middle, JPK Early College
    District Transdisciplinary Play-Based Assessment Team Member 
    252-232-2223 ext 1073


    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.
    (James Earl Jones-Actor and life long stutterer)

    Hello, my name is Kellie Carter and I am the Lead Speech Pathologists with Currituck County Schools. This will be my 31st year working in the public school setting. I graduated from Old Dominion University in 1991 with a B.S. in Speech Pathology and Audiology. I earned my Master's Degree in Speech Pathology from Old Dominion University in 1994. I am a Nationally Certified Speech Pathologist and a member of the American Speech Language and Hearing Association (ASHA). I hold a NC State Board of Examiners License in the area of Speech Language Pathology.  I also hold a Professional Educator's License with the Department of Public Instruction in the area of Exceptional Children Program Administrator for Grades K-12.  I was recognized during the 2008-2009 school year as the EC Teacher of the Year. 

    Speech Therapy Services

    There are four main areas in which students can receive services. These include articulation (how you pronounce sounds), language (understanding and using language), fluency (stuttering) and voice (the quality, pitch or resonance). The NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI) has developed guidelines that the IEP team must use and adhere to when deciding who qualifies for speech services. There are three prongs or criteria that a student must meet in order to be eligible for speech services in the public school setting. The student must have a disability in one of the four speech areas (articulation, language, fluency or voice), the disability must impact educational performance and the student must need specially designed instruction.


    If you are concerned about how your child pronounces sounds, if he/she has problems understanding when you speak to him/her, does not use complete sentences, is stuttering or has voice quality issues, then you can request a screening. You can contact me at the school your child is zoned to attend or email me at:  kcarter@currituck.k12.nc.us

Last Modified on October 27, 2022