What is Offer vs Serve?
Offer vs Serve allows our students the option to choose what foods they wish to eat. It also assists with reducing food waste. Currituck Child Nutrition will offer foods from the following food components for Breakfast and Lunch:
For a meal to be considered reimbursable by USDA standards, a student must choose at least 3 but may have all of the 4 components for Breakfast (1 of the components must be a fruit or vegetable) and at least 3 but may have all of the 5 components for Lunch (1 of the components must be a fruit or vegetable).
If a student chooses to receive less than 3 components for Breakfast and/or less than 3 components for Lunch, they will be charged a la carte prices.
The following chart will provide the pricing for a reimbursable meal.
|School Meal Prices||Full Price ||Full Price || Reduced Price|
|Grades K-5 ||Grades 6-12|| All Grade Levels|
|Breakfast||$ 1.25||$ 1.25|| Free*|
|Lunch||$ 2.35||$ 2.60|| $ 0.40|
|a la carte / Adults || varies per item||varies per item|| varies per item|
Breakfast Components that must be offered are:
Milk (at least an 8oz serving) = 1 item
Juice/Fruit/Vegetable (at least 1/2 cup but up to 1 cup serving) = 1 items
2 Grains/Breads (at least 2 serving equivalent) = 2 items
Students must take at least 1/2 cup fruit/juice/vegetable and at least 2 other items to receive the reimbursable rate.
Lunch Components that must be offered are:
- 5 cups per week - min. 1 cup per day all grades
- 3 3/4 cup serving week - min. 3/4 cup daily elementary
- 3 3/4 cup serving week - min. 3/4 cup daily middle school
- 5 cup serving week - min. 1 cup daily high school
- 2 1/2 cup serving week - min. 1/2 cup daily elementary
- 2 1/2 cup serving week - min. 1/2 cup daily middle school
- 5 cup serving weekly - min. 1 cup serving high school
- 8 -9 oz eq weekly - min. of 1 per day elementary
- 8-10 oz eq weekly - min. 1 per day middle school
- 10-12 oz eq weekly - min. 2 per day high school)
- 8-10 oz serving week - min. 1 oz per day elementary
- 9-10 oz serving week - min. 1 oz per day middle school
- 10-12 oz serving week - min. 2 oz per day high school
Elementary Students must take 3 but may have all of the Components offered.
They may take:
1 Milk + 1 Meat/Meat Alternative + 2 Vegetable + 1 Fruit + 1 Grains/Breads (the Grain/Bread may be included in the Meat/Meat Alternate choice)
Middle and High School Students must take 3 but may have all of the Components offered.
They may take:
1 Milk + 1 Meat/Meat Alternate + 2 Vegetables + 2 Fruit + 1 Grains/Breads (the Grain/Bread may be included in the Meat/Meat Alternate choice)
(Please note that 1 of the components MUST be a fruit or a vegetable as regulated by the USDA)
*Senate Bill 415 provides limited funding for those students eligible for reduced priced meals to receive their breakfast free of charge for a limited time. Once funding has been exhausted, the reduced priced breakfast cost will return back to $0.30. Prior notice will occur before charges begin for reduced priced breakfast.